How To Sponsor Your Child For Canadian Immigration

Sponsor Your Child For Canadian Immigration

Share This Post

A Canadian resident or permanent citizen can sponsor a dependant child residing abroad to join them in Canada as a permanent resident under the family class sponsorship program. The objective of sponsoring a dependent kid is to facilitate the reunification of family members from other nations in Canada.

Child eligibility criteria

To qualify for sponsorship, a kid must be dependent, which means they are:

  • A baby of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, or the spouse of either;
  • Are not married or living together as a couple;
  • Are younger than 22 years old.

A kid over the age of 22 may qualify as a dependent if the following conditions are met:

  • Have a physical or mental disability that prohibits them from supporting themselves;
  • Have been financially dependent on their parents since before age 22.

Sponsor eligibility requirements

To sponsor your child’s entry into Canada, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old; Be a Canadian resident, a permanent citizen living in Canada or wanting to return to Canada, or an individual registered under the Indian Act of Canada;
  • Be able to meet your own and your dependent child’s fundamental requirements, as well as those of your spouse (if appropriate);
  • Be able to demonstrate the connection to your youngster;
  • Not have a criminal record; Not be incarcerated, charged with a felony, or insolvent;
  • Not be in default of a prior sponsorship agreement; Not be the subject of an immigration inquiry; and Not be receiving financial assistance, save for disability-related reasons.

10 years, or until the child reaches 25 years of age, whichever comes first, is the duration of the obligation for a child under 22 dependent in Canada. If the dependent kid is older than 22 years old, the duration of the obligation is three years.

Sponsoring a dependent child in Quebec

If you want to sponsor your dependent child’s immigration to Quebec, the province has its immigration regulations, and you must take additional actions.

You must make a provincial application with the MIFI in addition to the regular federal application with Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

In addition, Quebec residents must apply for a Quebec Selection Certificate (QSC) and sign an “undertaking” with the province. As a sponsor, you must pay for the child’s necessities and reimburse the government for any aid granted to the sponsored individual during the sponsorship period, if applicable.

Lastly, the duration of an undertaking for a dependent child in Quebec differs from the rest of Canada and is age-related. If the child is under 16 years of age, the commitment is for a minimum of 10 years or until the child reaches 18 years of age, whichever is longer.

If the dependent child is 16 or older, the commitment is for a minimum period of three years or until the child reaches the age of 25, whichever is longer.

Contact us for more details!


Take Our Quick immigration Assessment

Evaluate your eligibility for Canadian visa

More To Explore

More To Explore

Logo 2023 2023sep06 01 (1)

Get in Touch

Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top