CAN Pathways

Home » News » Immigration » How To Get A Work Permit As An IT Professional

How To Get A Work Permit As An IT Professional

A Work Permit As An IT Professional

Share This Post

The tech industry plays a significant role in the Canadian economy, and qualified individuals worldwide are in high demand. Those who work in industries associated with information technology have a wide variety of work permit choices, and the Canadian government speeds up the processing of these permits.

The Global Talent Stream, the CUSMA Professionals Stream, and the Intra-Company Transferees Stream are the primary choices for obtaining a work visa for those working in the field of information technology.

Global Talent Stream

The Global Expertise Stream is intended to be of assistance to Canadian businesses in the process of employing international tech talent. Selected skilled workers can obtain a work permit through the Global Talent Stream within two weeks of submitting their application.

Employers who want to hire information technology professionals under the Global Talent Stream may be eligible for an expedited Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). The goal of the LMIA is to ensure that the arrival of a foreign worker will not be detrimental to the employment prospects of workers already residing in Canada.

Some jobs in the technology sector that qualify for this category include software engineering and design, computer programming, media development, information system analysis and consulting, and computer and information systems management.

CUSMA Professionals

As part of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA), citizens of the United States and Mexico who meet certain requirements can apply for work permits in Canada.

In most cases, an LMIA is not required to apply for a work permit granted under CUSMA. This enables Canadian firms to attract foreign IT professionals to work in the country considerably more quickly.

There is a list of around sixty different professions or jobs that, according to CUSMA, are eligible for a work permit referred to as a CUSMA professional work permit.

A number of the occupations on the list are associated with information technology (IT), such as computer engineers, computer systems analysts, graphic designers, and technical publication writers.

Intra-Company Transferees

Another possibility for obtaining a work visa that does not necessitate an LMIA is known as an intra-company transfer (ICT). There must be a qualifying relationship between the two companies for the foreign worker to be eligible for the ICT work visa.

Additionally, the foreign worker must have been employed by a company overseas for at least one year to be qualified (i.e., subsidiary, affiliate, parent, or branch).

There are three distinct categories that an employee can fall under to qualify for the information and communications technology work permit. Workers with “specific and proprietary knowledge of the organization or its products” fall under the third category, which is typically how IT experts can become qualified for the ICT work permit.

Please book a consultation with us to get a work permit!


Take Our Quick immigration Assessment

Evaluate your eligibility for Canadian visa

More To Explore

More To Explore

Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top