CAN Pathways

How to study in Canada as an Indian student

How to study in Canada

Share This Post

According to recent research conducted by the Canadian Bureau of International Education, Canada is a top destination for international students due to its reputation as a calm, stable, and tolerant society and the quality of its educational institutions.

This is true, especially for Indian students who frequently choose to study abroad in Canada. As of December 31, 2021, Indian students comprised 30% of all overseas students in Canada, or just under 217,000.

Canada is especially fascinating to Indian students because of our shared English language and its huge and well-established Indian population. Moreover, international students in Canada are allowed to work a limited number of hours per week.

Numerous colleges, universities, and other post-secondary institutions in Canada accept international students. Several steps must be followed to qualify for admission and find the appropriate program.

Determine where you would like to study 

Invest time in researching programs that fit with your job objectives, evaluating the school’s location, and investigating what your daily life will entail. You must also ensure that the program you choose is offered by a designated learning institution (DLI). 

A designated learning institution is a school authorized to host international students by a territorial or provincial authority. If a school lacks DLI status, you cannot obtain a study permit or, eventually, a Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP).

After deciding on the institution or institution, you wish to attend, proceed with your application.

Letter of approval

If your DLI application is accepted, you will receive an Acceptance Letter (LOA). This letter is required to apply for a study permit. Make certain the letter includes specifics such as:

  • The DLI’s name and contact information
  • Your name, birth date, and mailing address are required.
  • The study program, program level, duration, date, and expected program date of completion.

Enroll for a study permit

Once you obtain your LOA, you can apply directly to IRCC for a study permit. In addition to your LOA, you will require the following extra documents:

  • Documentation demonstrating your ability to afford your tuition and living expenses in Canada
  • Police certifications
  • Medical examinations, if necessary
  • An explanatory letter describing your career goals and ties to your home country

Before filing your application to IRCC, you will require a Certificat d’Acceptation du Quebec (CAQ) if you are enrolling for a DLI in the province of Quebec.

Submit an application for a study permit via the Student Direct Stream

Students from India may use the Student Direct Stream to apply for study permits (SDS). Residents from several countries will have their study permit applications expedited under this stream. The service standard for SDS is twenty days.

The SDS has increased eligibility standards. In addition to the requirements for a permit through the usual study stream, students applying through SDS must also have a $10,000 CAD Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) with a Canadian bank participating in the program. In addition, the IELTS language criterion is a minimum score of 6.0 in each skill (reading, writing, speaking, and listening).

Entry into Canada

A student permit allows you to work off-campus up to 20 hours per week during the regular semester and full-time during study vacations such as the summer and winter holidays. There is no limit on the number of jobs that can be held to fulfill the required hours.

You must apply for a work visa if you desire to continue living and working in Canada after completing your program of study.

Post-Graduate Work Permit

Most graduates who intend to remain in Canada apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP). This permit permits recent graduates of Canadian educational institutions to reside and work in Canada.

It is more likely that you will be able to become a permanent resident through Express Entry, the PNP, and other immigration paths if you get work experience while on a PGWP.

Your PGWP is equivalent to the duration of your educational program, up to three years.
Book a free consultation with us to know the options to study in Canada!


Take Our Quick immigration Assessment

Evaluate your eligibility for Canadian visa

More To Explore

More To Explore

Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top