CAN Pathways

Sponsor a spouse or partner

Sponsor your spouse or common-law partner for immigration to Canada

Sponsor Your Spouse Or Common Law Partner

Express Entry is the main way to immigrate to Canada as a skilled worker. Canada welcomes about 110,000 Express Entry immigrants per year.

Canadian citizens and permanent residents may sponsor their spouse or common-law partner for immigration to Canada. If successful, the sponsored person obtains permanent resident status, allowing the couple (or family, if applicable) to build their lives in Canada.

September, 2020 update: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has increased the number of decision makers on spousal applications in Canada by 66%, to process spousal applications more quickly and reduce couples’ wait times. Learn more here.

The common-law / spousal sponsorship Canada immigration program is a part of the Family Class category, through which Canada welcomes a substantial number of new permanent residents annually.

If you are interested in this pathway to permanent residence, either as the sponsor or sponsored person, there is much to consider. Important considerations include:

  • What is your civil status?
  • Are you living in the same location at the time of the application?
  • Is the sponsor a Canadian citizen, or is the sponsor a permanent resident?

Both the sponsor and sponsored person must be approved by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) in order for the sponsored person to receive Canadian permanent residence.

Please note that if you reside in the province of Quebec, you must also satisfy Quebec’s additional requirements for sponsorship.

On this page

Who can sponsor their spouse in Canada?


You can sponsor your spouse or common-law partner for Canadian immigration if you are:

  • at least 18 years old;
  • a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident living in Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act;
  • able to prove that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability; and
  • have enough income to provide for basic needs of any grandchildren (dependent children of a dependent child) of the principal applicant.

If you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your spouse or partner becomes a permanent resident. You can’t sponsor someone if you are a permanent resident living outside Canada.

Some other things to note:

  • If you reside in the province of Quebec, you must also satisfy Quebec’s additional requirements.
  • If you were sponsored by a spouse or partner, you may not be a sponsor yourself until five years have passed since you became a permanent resident.
  • The sponsor is financially responsible for the person sponsored for three years after the sponsored person becomes a permanent resident.
  • You can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner if he or she is at least 18 years old and your relationship is genuine (real) and wasn’t entered into for the purpose of obtaining immigrant status in Canada.

Who counts as a spouse for spousal sponsorship in Canada?

For spousal sponsorship in Canada, a spouse is a partner with whom you are legally married. This includes both opposite- and same-sex relationships.

Who counts as a common-law partner for common-law sponsorship in Canada?

For common-law sponsorship in Canada, a common-law partner isn’t legally married to you, but has been living with you for at least 12 consecutive months, meaning:

  • you have been living together continuously for one year, without any long periods apart;
  • if either of you left your home it was for family obligations or work or business travel; and
  • any time spent away from each other must have been short and temporary.

The definition of common-law partner includes both opposite- and same-sex relationships.

Who counts as a conjugal partner for spousal sponsorship in Canada?

For spousal sponsorship in Canada, a conjugal partner is a person outside Canada who has had a binding relationship with you for at least one year, but could not, for some reason(s), live with you. Individuals living in Canada are not eligible to be sponsored as conjugal partners.

The definition of conjugal partner includes both opposite- and same-sex relationships.

Complete Your Assessment

Complete our FREE assessment to find out if you are eligible for Express Entry!

Spousal Sponsorship Canada: Understanding Inland and Outland


Two terms are commonly used to describe the types of application that may be submitted: Outland sponsorship, and Inland sponsorship. Though these terms are rarely, if ever, used by IRCC, they are nonetheless terms that applicants, representatives, and other stakeholders often use.

If the sponsored person resides outside Canada, the application for permanent residence must be submitted to IRCC’s Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia. This is referred to as Outland sponsorship.

Inland sponsorship may be pursued when the couple is together in Canada and the foreign spouse/common-law partner has temporary status in Canada, either as a worker, student, or visitor. Inland applications must be submitted to IRCC’s Case Processing Centre in Mississauga, Ontario.

Under Inland sponsorship, the sponsored person may be eligible for an open work permit, allowing him or her to work in Canada while the application is being processed. This open work permit initiative first began as a pilot program in 2014, and has then been extended every year since after it became clear that it helped families across Canada. In July, 2020  IRCC announced the extension of this open work permit program with a view to making it a permanent policy, meaning that Inland applicants can continue to benefit from this work permit.

Applicants residing in Canada may choose to pursue Outland sponsorship, even though they reside in Canada (therefore also making Inland sponsorship an option). A potential advantage to the Outland pathway is that in some cases the processing time may be shorter. However, IRCC has taken steps to reduce processing times in the spousal/common-law sponsorship program, particularly Inland sponsorship applications, thereby making Inland sponsorship more attractive than before, particularly as this pathway includes the possibility of the sponsored person being allowed to work in Canada before processing of the sponsorship application has been completed.

How long does it take for spousal sponsorship in Canada?


Spousal sponsorship processing times have been a contentious issue for some time, particularly when the Covid-19 pandemic affected IRCC work capacity in 2020. However, in response to this IRCC has increased by 66 per cent the number of staff that will review spousal sponsorship applications in order to reduce wait times and process applications more quickly. Learn more here.

Prior to 2020, processing time for spousal sponsorship applications in Canada were approximately 12 months (common-law partners and conjugal partners, as well). Of course, the exact processing time may vary from application to application.

Do you need a job offer to sponsor your spouse in Canada?


No, you do not need a job offer to sponsor your spouse in Canada (or common-law partner, or conjugal partner).

How much does it cost for spousal sponsorship in Canada?


It costs CAD$1,050 to sponsor your spouse for Canadian immigration (the same for common-law partners and conjugal partners). This amount only includes mandatory immigration fees:

  • CAD$75 – Sponsorship Fee
  • CAD$475 – Processing Fee
  • CAD$500 – Right of Permanent Residence Fee

You should expect other costs related to the immigration process, including costs related to obtaining documents, postage, and the services of an immigration representative (if you choose to work with one).

How much income do you need to sponsor your spouse in Canada?


In most cases of spousal sponsorship in Canada, you do not have to meet a minimum level of income in order to sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner. You do, however, have to sign an undertaking agreeing to provide for the basic financial needs of the person you sponsor, usually for a period of three years.

During this period, you must ensure the person you sponsor has access to the following basic needs:

  • food, clothing, shelter and other needs for everyday living,
  • dental care, eye care and other health needs that aren’t covered by public health services.

If the person you are sponsoring receives social assistance from the Canadian government during the period of your undertaking, you will be financially liable for this assistance.

Please note: If you are sponsoring a spouse who has dependent children, and one of those dependent children has dependent children of their own, in this case you must meet a minimum level of income.

What is the process for sponsoring my spouse for Canadian immigration?


In order to sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner for Canadian immigration, you have to follow a multistep process.

  1. Step One: Determine your eligibility. Check the eligibility of both yourself and your spouse (or common-law partner, or conjugal partner) against the IRCC eligibility requirements.
  2. Step Two: Access your personalized document checklist. Using this IRCC tool, input the details relating to your sponsorship application. This will automatically generate an application kit and document checklist for your situation. 
  3. Step Three: Following the instructions in your application guide and using the documents listed on your document checklist, gather and prepare all necessary forms and supporting documents.
  4. Step Four: Double-check everything. Canadian immigration applications are complex and even a single missing document can be grounds for refusal. Ensure that you have included every bit of information required. You may want to consider working with a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant at this stage, if you’d like to have a professional look over your application. 
  5. Step Five: Submit your application for processing. Canadian spousal sponsorship applications are paper-based applications. This means that you must gather all of your required forms and documents in hard copy and mail them to the appropriate IRCC office. Once you submit, it will take approximately 12 months to receive a decision on your case.

If you would like help with your spousal sponsorship application, we recommend a handful of experienced Canadian immigration consultants.

Which documents are needed for Canadian spousal sponsorship?


In order to sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner for Canadian immigration, you will have to submit a complex application with documents specific to your situation. Once you have determined you are interested in sponsoring your spouse, you can use this IRCC tool to enter your personal details and receive an application kit and document checklist personalized to fit your details.

Your exact document requirements will depend on your situation. Ensure that you follow the requirements you receive from IRCC. Any deviation from IRCC’s requirements could cause your application to be refused.

Documents you should anticipate submitting as a part of your Canadian spousal sponsorship application include (but are not limited to):

  • Mandatory immigration forms from IRCC
  • Proof of identity
  • Proof of status in Canada
  • Proof of relationship
  • Proof of previous relationships
  • Additional family information and documents
  • Police certificates
  • Medical examination (submitted after processing)

Getting help with the common-law / spousal sponsorship Canada immigration process


Even if you are married, there is no guarantee that IRCC will accept your common-law partner / spousal sponsorship Canada immigration application. The application includes various forms and extensive documentation, including material that shows the ongoing strength of the relationship.

If you would like to book a consultation with a qualified, experienced immigration consultant before proceeding with the application, Moving2Canada can facilitate a booking with ease. Visit our Book an Immigration Consultant page for our list of recommended experts.

Book Your Personal Consultation

If you have specific problems you need help with, or if you want a dedicated, experienced professional to help you prepare and review your documents and forms
Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top