The least affected program of Canadian Immigration is that of Family sponsorship, the program to invite your dependent children, grandparents, spouse and parents on a long-term. However, if you are planning on one, we the greatest immigration consultants have developed a reliable and resilient questionnaire for you to increase your knowledge bank to the fullest.
Without wasting a second, let us quickly go through the questionnaire one by one:
What do you mean by a Family sponsorship program?
It is a program by which families could be easily reunited by enabling permanent residents or citizens to sponsor an immediate relative or a dependent child for immigration to Canada. However, there is a stringent rule to become eligible for this program. It is a splendid opportunity for you and your loved ones to go through these simple steps and acquire the best for you.
Moreover, your relatives can live, study and work in Canada if they become permanent residents of Canada. You can sponsor immediate relatives in Canada who is above 18+years of age and also is a:
- Canadian Citizen
- A person registered in Canada under the Canadian Indian act
- Permanent citizen of Canada
How does Family Sponsorship work?
This program works only one way. For you to invite your family members to become Canadian permanent citizens you need to have a PR (permanent resident) of Canada or your Canadian citizenship. If you qualify for a permanent resident, you can aptly live work or study but if you are planning on inviting your immediate relatives, get prepared to take care of their financial needs.
What are the requirements to become a sponsor?
You need to fulfill the below-mentioned criteria to become one:
- You must be 18years of age or above
- You as well as the sponsored relative need to sign a commitment in the form of the writ under which if your sponsor is not able to meet ends, you will take care of your sponsor in times of need and safety. This agreement also states that the sponsor will try every other route to secure himself/herself a job.
- It is mandatory to provide permanent financial support to your conjugal partner, spouse for three years from the date they become a permanent resident
- In the case of a dependent child, you need to provide him/her with financial support if the dependent child is below or equals to 0years. Until the dependent child attains 25years of age, you are subjected to his/her financial support system
Who can come under the sponsor category?
- Spouse – Outside, Inland as well as Same-Sex partner
- Common-Law partner – (restrictions do apply)
- Conjugal partner – (restrictions apply)
- Dependent children/child
- Parents – (Additional conditions apply)
- grandparents – (Additional conditions apply)
- Siblings, nephews or nieces who are orphaned, granddaughters or grandsons who are abandoned, under 18 years of age and unmarried or in a common-law relationship
- Another relative of any age or relationship but only under special conditions
- Accompanying relatives of the above-mentioned people (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children)
How to sponsor your spouse?
Like other relatives, this is another subcategory of a familiar sponsorship program by which you can make your spouse (same-sex or opposite-sex) a willing sponsor to immigrate to Canada. The rules are simple, you can immigrate your spouse to Canada only if you have Canadian citizenship or has a PR. So, under this program when you invite, your family to Canada, you are wholly sponsoring them (foreign nationals that need to pass through Canadian Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for the sponsored person to receive a visa)
To achieve and receive a PR visa, both have to qualify themselves in the following 3 categories: Spouse Common-law Partner, Conjugal Partner, as well as for same-sex couples perfectly eligible for a spousal sponsorship.
When we talk of inland Sponsorship, it means that the couple has been together in Canada and the foreign spouse/common-law partner has a temporary status and not a permanent one and working as a staff, low-skilled worker, or staying as a visitor or a student.
Whereas an outland sponsorship is generally pursued when the sponsored partner/conjugal partner is living outside of Canada.
How can you sponsor your dependent child/children?
The good news is, Canada does not believe in the demarcation between conceived and adopted children. Dependent children whether naturally conceived or adopted can suitably immigrate to Canada if they fall under suitable criteria.
To receive a visa through this platform both the parties need to prove their relationship to one another. Child sponsorship may take time. So, if you are planning on adopting a child and if the adoption is in the final phase, you may begin with a dependent child sponsorship program with immediate effect.
Who can/cannot become a sponsor?
The person who is willing to immigrate- immediate family or dependent children and grandparents to Canada is a sponsor. So, there are a few rules in this too:
- You need to prove that you will be able to financially support your family member and any dependent, if necessary
- You need to agree with the Government of Canada or Quebec, as well as the sponsored relative, where the sponsor will agree to support the family member for a certain amount of time. The sponsored relative must make an effort to support themselves, as well.
- Either reside in Canada prove their intention to live in Canada when the sponsored relative arrives in Canada
- Be at least 18 years of age to immigrate to another one of your relative of age
- Not to be incarcerated or charged with a serious criminal offence
- Should not be bankrupt
- Should not be under a removal order if a Permanent Resident
- What if “my sponsorship application is refused/ rejected”?
You can always appeal the case to the Immigration Adjudication Division (IAD) within 30 days of the refusal. However, we need to inform you that these cases are often lengthy and costly, so we advise you to hire a lawyer 1st before stepping into the system.
2.What does “essential needs” mean?
The primary requirements of an individual like –food, clothing, house, water and health needs that are not covered under public health services
- How long does the family sponsorship program take to complete?
It depends upon the Canadian province you have applied for and the type of family member you are willing to sponsor; depending on that it might take one month to several years in the case of grandparents.
Recent news stated that the family sponsorship program is the least affected and well appreciated with immediate family who is willing to reconnect with individuals living in Canadian grounds with citizenship or PR.