CAN Pathways

Home » News » Immigration » Best way to get PR in Canada for international students

Best way to get PR in Canada for international students

International Students

Share This Post

International students in Canada have the opportunity to pursue permanent resident status either while they are still studying or after completing their academic programs. This pathway allows them to seamlessly transition from their student status to becoming permanent residents, offering a valuable option for those wishing to establish a long-term presence in Canada.

International students in Canada have multiple pathways to explore if they aspire to become permanent residents, contingent upon meeting specific program requirements and eligibility criteria. It’s crucial for these students to understand that permanent residence isn’t guaranteed upon completing their studies. Nonetheless, by proactively preparing and familiarizing themselves with the prerequisites for various immigration options, they can enhance their prospects of successfully obtaining permanent resident status.

Canada provides numerous avenues for international students to attain permanent residence due to research indicating that individuals with Canadian education often thrive in the Canadian job market. These students are recognized as a valuable source of skilled professionals who can help meet Canada’s labor market demands. Moreover, Canadian employers highly value the education and work experience gained by international students within the country.

Following their studies in Canada, many international students opt to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). This permit offers them an open work permit, granting the flexibility to work in almost any location and for virtually any employer throughout Canada.

A Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) may be available to students who:

To qualify for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), applicants must fulfill the following criteria:

Successfully completed a program of study at an eligible Designated Learning Institution (DLI) that spans a minimum duration of eight months. The program must lead to the attainment of a degree, diploma, or certificate.

Maintained full-time student status throughout each academic session of the completed program or programs of study in Canada, all of which should be included in the PGWP application.

Obtained a transcript and an official letter from the eligible DLI confirming the fulfillment of program requirements.

The PGWP offers the advantage of allowing international students to gain valuable Canadian work experience. This experience not only makes them eligible for permanent residence but also enhances their competitiveness as candidates for Canadian immigration, as many immigration pathways prioritize candidates with Canadian work experience.

Express Entry

Express Entry serves as an application management system overseeing three federal skilled worker immigration programs: the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), the Canadian Experience Class (CEC), and the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP).

The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) specifically offers a pathway to permanent residence for individuals with prior work experience in Canada. This particular program is highly favored by international students who have successfully acquired Canadian work experience during or after their studies.


Take Our Quick immigration Assessment

Evaluate your eligibility for Canadian visa

More To Explore

More To Explore

Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top