Family Class Sponsorship
The Family Class Sponsorship provides Canadian citizens with an opportunity to sponsor their family members to live with them in Canada and become Canadian permanent residents. Family reunification is one of the three pillars of Canadian immigration program, which permits both the recent immigrants and long-established Canadians to be reunited with members of their family.
Who can sponsor?
To sponsor your family member for Canadian Immigration through the Family Class Sponsorship, a sponsor must:
- be at least 18 years old.
- be a Canadian citizen, or a permanent resident, who is living or intends to live in Canada.
- not be receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability, and
- be able to provide the basic needs of the person sponsored.
Who can be sponsored?
The Family Class broadly consists of the following three categories of sponsorship:
- Spousal, Common-Law or Conjugal Partner Sponsorship
- Parents, Grandparents and Relative Sponsorship
- Children and other dependents
An applicant must not be ‘inadmissible’ under the Immigration and Refugees Protection Act (IRPA) and must go through:
- Medical exams
- Criminal checks
- Background checks