CAN Pathways

Home » Blog » Immigration to Canada » What Is The Canadian Experience Class?

What Is The Canadian Experience Class?

What Is The Canadian Experience Class

Share This Post

Foreign skilled workers and overseas students in Canada may be eligible for the Canadian Experience Class, a fast route to permanent residence.

Since 2008, this program (part of the Express Entry system) has allowed foreign skilled workers and students who graduated from a Canadian institution to become permanent residents and, ultimately, citizens.

The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is an immigration category that grants permanent residency to those who have worked in Canada for at least one year. CEC is a component of the Canadian immigration system Express Entry.

The Canadian government recognizes the many bright people already employed in the country and wants them to become permanent residents. Individuals and families have established themselves and made plans in Canada.

What is Express Entry?

Express Entry enables Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to encourage qualified people to submit a permanent residency application.

These candidates have submitted a formal “Expression of Interest” to immigrate to Canada by establishing an online Express Entry profile. The profiles of eligible candidates are allowed into the Express Entry pool, where they are scored and ranked according to the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) based on their personal information.

In addition to applicants under the Canadian Experience Class, candidates under the Federal Skilled Worker Class (FSWC) and Federal Skilled Trades Class are included in the pool. IRCC invites individuals from the pool to apply during its Express Entry draws.

Eligibility Criteria For  Canadian Experience Class

To qualify for the CEC, you must satisfy the following criteria:

  • Meet the language proficiency requirements for your position in each language ability: reading, writing, listening, and speaking. Language exams taken for CEC applications are valid for up to two years and must be valid on the day of submission.
  • Have at least one year of competent work experience in Canada within the preceding three years. This criterion can be satisfied by: A full-time job: thirty hours a week for twelve months (1,560 working hours); or an equal amount of time in a part-time position (one may work as many part-time jobs as necessary to fulfill this requirement); or full-time work at more than one job.
  • You must gain work experience by working in Canada as a temporary resident with work permission.
  • Note that a specific classification under the National Occupation Category (NOC) is required for CEC eligibility. The NOC system is the government’s method of classifying jobs based on job responsibilities and tasks performed. To qualify for CEC, one must hold a position within NOC 0, A, or B.

International graduates of a Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI) are eligible to apply for permanent residency after one year of work under a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). This is also a method for increasing your standing in the Express Entry pool.

International students can obtain an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) from a designated institution for immigration reasons to assess how their education is equal to a certificate, diploma, or degree from a Canadian secondary or postgraduate institution.

Canadian Experience Class – Application Procedure

Let’s examine the procedure, from entering Canada as a worker to obtaining a Permanent Resident (PR) card.

Step 1: Obtain a work permit for Canada.

Possessing legal permission to work in Canada is a crucial need for this program. An open work permit may be an option for certain individuals, such as those qualifying under the International Experience Canada (IEC) program or the spouse/common-law partner of an international student or foreign worker in Canada.

Others may be awarded an employer-specific (‘closed’) work permit. Permits issued with a favorable Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) and intra-company transfers are examples of closed working visas.

Step 2: Work for one year in Canada.

To qualify under the Canadian Experience Class, you must have at least one year of work experience (or longer, if part-time) or equivalent.

Step 3: Ensure you meet additional eligibility requirements

Get your language exam done. For English, students can take either the IELTS or CELPIP examination. The TEF and TCF are now accessible options for French. Additional points may be offered to candidates with some proficiency in both English and French for proficiency in their second language.

Step 4: Create a profile for Express Entry

This phase is conducted on the website of the IRCC. You will be required to supply some personal data, some of which is self-declared (such as your employment history) and some of which must be supported by evidence (such as your proof of language ability).

Get a free Express Entry Assessment today with CAN Pathways!


Take Our Quick immigration Assessment

Evaluate your eligibility for Canadian visa

More To Explore

More To Explore

Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top