CAN Pathways

Home » Blog » Immigration to Canada » Ways to Stay in Canada After Your PGWP Expires

Ways to Stay in Canada After Your PGWP Expires

Stay in Canada After Your PGWP Expires

Share This Post

Due to the suspension of FHS Express Entry draws, many overseas graduates feel limited in their ability to stay in Canada after their PGWP expires.

The Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) allowed foreign graduates to work for up to three years in any province or territory of Canada.

This kind of work permit cannot be extended, unfortunately. Nevertheless, some methods may let PGWP holders remain in Canada temporarily or permanently.

The following options are available for PGWP holders to stay in Canada once their permit ends while FHS draws remain solid:

Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs)

Numerous Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) are available for international graduates in Canada who seek to live in their province.

The Express Entry mechanism is utilized by many nominee programs, also known as “enhanced” PNPs. An applicant who receives a nomination through an upgraded PNP is awarded 600 points toward their Express Entry CRS score. Throughout the epidemic, Canada has decided to maintain Express Entry draws for PNP applicants.

This means that a PGWP holder could benefit from the shortened processing time of Express Entry. This could enable PGWP recipients to obtain permanent residency status within six months of applying.

There are still PNP possibilities for PGWP holders who lack work experience in an occupational skill category eligible for Express Entry. Numerous provinces provide “basic” PNPs, which frequently accept candidates with C and D skills.

Atlantic Immigration Program (AIP)

The Atlantic Immigration Program assists eligible recent graduates of a post-secondary institution in the Atlantic in becoming permanent residents. This program may permit PGWP holders to stay in Canada after the expiration of their permit.

To be considered, applicants must have completed a two-year curriculum. Possessing a job offer in New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,  is a requirement for eligible grads. A, B, C, or 0 may represent the skill type of the employment offer.

The benefit of this program is that minimum work experience criteria are waived for qualifying international graduates. This permits PGWP recipients to apply before beginning employment.

This may be advantageous for PGWP permit holders without sufficient work experience to apply to other programs before their permit expires.

On December 31, 2021, the Atlantic Immigration Pilot program finished. On March 6, 2022, replaced by the permanent Atlantic Immigration Program.

Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot (RNIP)

If you graduated from a publicly financed higher education institution in one of eleven rural Canadian communities, you might be eligible under the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot (RNIP).

The pilot program needs candidates to hold a master’s degree, have finished a two-year post-secondary program, and have spent a minimum amount of time in the community.

Each rural community has eligibility requirements for those wishing to apply to its program.

Work permit

Most work permits require firms to undergo a time-consuming and expensive procedure to acquire a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

There are, however, alternative ways to apply for a work visa that does not require an LMIA. Canada’s International Mobility Program (IMP) allows Canadian firms to hire temporary foreign workers without doing a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

To be eligible to apply for a work permit exempt from LMIA, your employment must have wider economic, cultural, or other comparative advantages for Canada, as well as reciprocal benefits experienced by Canadians and permanent residents.

You may be qualified to apply for a bridging open work permit if you are eligible to apply for citizenship before your PGWP expires. This permission will allow you to work while your permanent residency application is processed.

Enroll in a new post-secondary program

Joining a new post-secondary program in Canada may enable you to stay in the country and work up to 20 hours/week. If you are qualified for Express Entry but have yet to receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA), there may be a chance to remain in Canada.

Note that you cannot keep working in Canada if you no longer possess a valid work permit or have secured status. You must have legitimate status to remain in Canada.

Contact us to learn more about your options for staying in Canada after your PGWP work permit expires!


Take Our Quick immigration Assessment

Evaluate your eligibility for Canadian visa

More To Explore

More To Explore

Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top